Volume 2 of Metal Assault Records' mixtape compilation releases, spotlighting the finest bands in the heavy music underground! Released January 31 2020, on limited-edition cassette tape + digital download.
Below is the full track listing, along with a brief intro of every band.
1. VOID VATOR – “Nitrus”: One of the best bands to come out of Los Angeles in the past few years, Void Vator is quintessential hard rock and heavy metal with modern flavor and exuberant attitude. A band known and loved for its brilliant lead vocals and vocal melodies puts more of the spotlight on their equally impressive instrumental prowess on “Nitrus”, an absolutely perfect opener to this mixtape.
2. MONOLITH – “Man Without A Soul”: Longtime purveyors of all things old-school metal, Oceanside, California stalwarts Monolith have gifted us with a rare gem, the previously unreleased “Man Without A Soul”, a scintillating ode to Di’Anno-era Iron Maiden in all its charged-up, fast-paced, no-holds-barred glory.
3. HYDERA – “Witch King”: It is difficult for a band playing power metal to stand out amidst the plethora of bands pursuing that style, but there is no denying that LA’s own Hydera (previously known as Decade) does it astoundingly well. “Witch King”, an instant classic of a tune, showcases this to the maximum.
4. LIVING DARKNESS – “Destructible”: An exciting new band based out of Los Angeles, Living Darkness is all things old-school metal presented with unbridled passion, as evident on their debut single which gives Side A of this mixtape an unmistakable adrenaline rush.
5. MOTOR GUN HOTEL – “Leave It All Behind”: Doing justice to ’90s-style hard rock, Orange County based Motor Gun Hotel excels at keeping it simple and doing the basics right with solid riffs and good songwriting. The title track off of their latest EP sits well on this compilation.
6. APARANT – “Home”: Los Angeles based trio Aparant gives their own take on modern progressive hard rock and it makes for enjoyable listening. Their two 2019 EP releases Creator and The Great Forest are worthy examples of this, and their brand new tune, “Home”, leaning more towards the heavy metal spectrum, takes things up a notch.
7. DRIFT – “From Within”: Combining their influences from industrial metal and bluesy classic hard rock, LA based quartet Drift is doing something fresh and exciting with their brand of heavy music, complete with distinct imagery and theatrics. The opening track and the catchiest tune from their debut album also turns out to be a fitting way to open Side B of this compilation.
8. HELL KROSS – “Howl Of The Wolf Brigade”: One of Los Angeles’ most entertaining new bands is Hell Kross, putting on some of the best live performances going around in town. But at the heart of it all is the group’s love for old-school metal, and as a result they have come up with tunes that boast fantastic musicianship. They feature on this mixtape with a brand new, previously unreleased tune that is certain to appease any and every metalhead.
9. CIRCLE OF SIGHS – “Burden Of The Flesh”: Occult-themed synth-doom outfit Circle Of Sighs is a multi-national collective that comes with a sense of mystery and anonymity with it, and it is perhaps best to let them retain this mystery, because the music speaks for itself, and greatly enriches this mixtape.
10. GRIM EARTH – “Ruins”: No compilation would be complete without a hearty dosage of crushing heavy, sludgy doom metal. Hailing from Olympia, Washington, Grim Earth lives up to its name and delivers it in plenty on this monstrous tune from their latest EP.
11. THE BLUE PRISON – “Vengeance”: Two-piece bands are bringing about a new revolution in music, and there’s no better example of this than Los Angeles duo The Blue Prison. Impressing local audiences with compelling performances, they have captured their brand of instrumental progressive shred on their newest studio recording, which serves as an apt closer to this compilation.
Side A (Run Time 22:48)
01. VOID VATOR – Nitrus (2:54)
02. MONOLITH – Man Without A Soul (2:46)
03. HYDERA – Witch King (3:49)
04. LIVING DARKNESS – Destructible (3:33)
05. MOTOR GUN HOTEL – Leave It All Behind (3:45)
06. APARANT – Home (5:51)
Side B (Run Time 23:52)
07. DRIFT – From Within (3:16)
08. HELL KROSS – Howl Of The Wolf Brigade (4:57)
09. CIRCLE OF SIGHS – Burden Of The Flesh (5:37)
10. GRIM EARTH – Ruins (4:27)
11. THE BLUE PRISON – Vengeance (5:35)
supported by 13 fans who also own “Metal Assault Mixtape: Vol. 2”
No small wonder this album is picking up loads of praise! Coming on like Curved Air on steroids with quality songwriting and musicianship all round. Vocalist Lynx however deserves extra credit for the incredible range of her voice. One minute occupying the Grace Slick/Sonja Kristina groove then in another echoing Shirley Bassey/Eartha Kitt - immense! If you like the Black Wizards, Goldray, Purson, Instant Boner, Vodun et al then you need to grab this as it's going fast... kooper66
supported by 11 fans who also own “Metal Assault Mixtape: Vol. 2”
Solid and consistent rock album. However, there are not enough defining moments or variations in style (both vocally and instrumentally) to sustain my interest for long. I struggle to recognize the song I’m listening to because they all sound so much alike. That being said, though, the band does what they do well. I just wish there was a bit more creativity. The guitar solo in Crying of the Wolves is pretty cool. 6/10. Alrihkh